This ” No Spend Weekend: 50+ Things To Do To Save Money” posts lists the things you can do that don’t cost anything or don’t cost a lot of money. This post contains affiliate links/ads. See disclosure policy.
Have you ever done a no-spend weekend? If your answer is no, then, this post is perfectly crafted for you. This is for you, that is if you want to find ways on how to avoid spending money, but you still want to have a great weekend.
A lot of people spend money during the weekends. No kidding. It’s primarily because it’s the time that we don’t have work, that we are out with our family, and that we are itchy to spend our hard-earned money.
I can’t blame people. It’s perfectly understandable; however, if you want to save money or are looking for money saving tips, then, you should consider a no-spend weekend.
Mind you that weekends consist only of two days. But spending, even a couple of dollars here and there, can add up.
Truly, we have different reasons that we spend money on the weekends. Some are valid like buying groceries and paying important bills, and some are not.
Here is my challenge to you: Do not spend money on the weekends. I dare you not to spend a single dime on the weekend. I bet that if you do this, then, you can do this every weekend after this one.
The only exception to the rule of a no-spend weekend is spending money on really important things like buying groceries.
My family does the no-spend weekend a lot of times. This coming weekend, my family is going to have another no-spend weekend. Here are the activities that we are doing that won’t cost us anything.
Update our monthly budget
Another month is done and another month is coming. This means that we need to roll in a new budget template to accommodate a new month. We need to close our previous month’s budget and see how much we save. We also use Personal Capital to calculate our savings and our net worth.
In order household, we use the Budget Binder Printables to help us effectively budget and manage our money.
These printables has continuously helped our family get our budget in control and save a ton of money even on a single income. We paid off our $40K debt and, at the same time, saved at least $70K in 2.5 years with the help of these printables (click here for the full story). It’s currently on sale for only $7.99, which is 65% off of its original price of $19.99. Plus, you get both the family budget calculator and loans calculator for FREE.
Visit the park
My daughter loves to play at the park. So, do my wife and I. We spend an hour or two in the park playing with our kid. The only thing I don’t like about playing at the park is that she goes everywhere and I can’t keep up with her. She runs too fast. That is the sign of aging. 🙂
Take some surveys
If you want to make money without ever leaving your house, then, take surveys. We will spend an hour or two this weekend to earn some additional cash on the side. By the way, my wife and I make around $150/month on surveys. If you want to take them, make sure to check out these sites:
- Springboard America (Get a chance to win $1,000 when you sign up)
- American Consumer Opinion (6 million subscribers and counting. You know it’s legit)
- MySurvey (Earn 2,000 points as a sign-up bonus and up to $5 per survey…. That’s a big amount for a survey)
- Survey Savvy (Earn $5 per device per month or up to $180 per year easily)
- Smart Panel (Earn $5 per device per month plus quarterly loyalty bonus)
- Toluna Opinions (We’ve earned over $300 worth of prizes and gift cards in just a couple of months)
- EarningStation ($10 bonus after 5 site signups)
- Opinion Outpost (My sister earns $50/month)
- Vindale Research ($2.00 signup bonus)
- YouGov (Earn 2,000 points as a sign-up bonus)
- Pinecone Research (Potentially earn at least $3 per survey)
- Swagbucks (One of my most favorite sites)
- Survey Club (Potentially earn at least $50 per survey)
Plant our veggies
Last week, we bought a ton of vegetables. Do you know that a lot of veggies can be replanted? Yes, that’s correct, and that’s what we are going to do. Hey, it’s Springtime, and it’s the time again to plant the veggies and fruits we like so much.
This is the only time that I get to spend a couple more hours to work on my blog. My wife and I work together to create our posts for the next week or so.
I want to invest more time and effort in my blog because it’s making us substantial passive income. This is why we decided that we need to put in a few more hours every weekend when we are not doing other important things. Just last month, I made over $6,000 last month even by only spending an hour a day on blogging.
Be one of the few who can start a blog for a special price of $2.95/month instead of the regular price of $7.99/month. That’s 50% off the regular price. Plus, you’ll get a FREE domain and a 30-Day money back guarantee. Wow! That’s a lot for $2.95/month.
This is a special price I negotiated with Bluehost just for my readers. Really, you are saving money when you use my link even before you publish your first post. That’s a best a way to start your blogging journey.
My tutorial will help you establish a blog in 15 minutes or less. You can also sign up for a FREE Blogging course, which is valued over $400 and also gives you access to an EXCLUSIVE Facebook group dedicated to supporting bloggers and help them grow their blog traffic and income. Again, access to these course and group is FREE.
Store winter clothes
Winter is done, and Spring is here. This means that it’s time to store the winter clothes and bring out all the Spring clothes.
Go to church
We go to church every Sunday. We almost always attend the early morning service just because we get to do more stuff when we start our day so early.
I borrowed DVDs from the library. This means that it’s going to be a day of binge watching. I borrowed a ton of DVDs that include ‘House,’ ‘Monk,’ and some movies. My wife and I can’t wait to start watching this show. By the way, I really love ‘House.’
These are some of the things that we are going to do this weekend. I am pretty sure that something will come up and will take some of our time this weekend. It always happens.
- 10 Healthiest Foods For Tight Budget
- 12 Ways To Save On Groceries
- How I Made Over $30,000 In A Year From Blogging
Things To Do During A No Spend Weekend
Here are some of the things you can do to make sure your no-spend weekend happens:
No Spend Weekend Tips # 9-20
- Iron your clothes for the upcoming work week
- Have fun with your kids (Don’t show you can’t keep up or they will make fun of you. 🙂 )
- Get a haircut (i.e. guys can use razor to shave their heads. Anyway, it’s Springtime.)
- Have a picnic with family and friends
- Play board or card games (It’s always more fun to do manual games than play with game consoles kids have today.)
- Invite friends to come to your house for some conversation
- Work on your honey-do list (Listen, guys.)
- Clean the yard
- Donate items you don’t and won’t use anymore (Give the stuff to charities like Habitat For Humanity and Salvation Army.)
- Plan your meal for days to come
- Paint, paint, and paint (I found that kids love to paint even though they end up just creating a mess.)
- Go to the library
No Spend Weekend Tips # 21-30
- Walk or workout at the park
- Clean your closet (I bet you there’s a lot to get rid off.)
- Walk the dog
- Clean your car (Ouch. I think this is going to be one of those somethings that will come up.)
- Start jotting down some DIY projects for Springtime
- Take pictures (Spring is a good time to take pictures.)
- Start a DIY project
- Experiment with a new dish (This is fun.)
- Read a book, newspaper, or something
- Repair stuff in the house or car
No Spend Weekend Tips # 31-40
- Hike, hike, and hike
- Find a new hobby (There’s always a new hobby that gets you going.)
- Do some gardening/landscaping
- Bake (i.e. bake a ton of cookies and cakes and everyone is happy.)
- Have a potluck with friends and family
- Sit down and have a talk (Communication is key to a happy marriage.)
- Go to the beach
- Sit down and relax (You’ve done a lot. So, take a break and breathe.)
- Make a plan (Plan what you need to do in life, these coming few weeks, etc. Having a plan is always good.)
- Volunteer (It’s always nice to give something back to your community.)
No Spend Weekend Tips # 41-50
- Re-arrange your living room, dining room, etc. (I should have said… re-arrange your whole house.)
- Tutor your kids or other kids
- Look for free stuff (We go to Craigslist and community ads to see what free stuff people give away.)
- Find and clip coupons for products you need to buy
- Go to Pinterest to find some inspirations
- Pay your bills (Doesn’t sound like a no-spend weekend. But if you have some bills due on the weekend, might as well pay them to avoid late fees and other penalties.)
- Clean up your phone (Delete apps and pictures you don’t need anymore.)
- Teach your kids things that are valuable
- Do some karaoke (We’ve got a karaoke machine, and we use it almost every weekend.)
- Visit a museum (We live close to DC. So we visit DC from time to time.)
This is how you can save money? Yes, you can save money by doing this no spend weekend. Try it on one weekend. If you are able to do it once, then, this means you can do it almost every weekend.
What else do you think you can do to make this no spend weekend successful? Do you take the challenge of not spending a single dime during the weekend?