ant to work from home and earn cash? Do this by learning how to make money online. Our list of legit side hustles can make that happen, help you pay off debt, and get you out of a tight budget.
If you're looking for a gig or wanting to make extra money, this post can help you answer questions you have and help you earn in a reasonable time.
Don't fall on the “Make Money (Easy)” trap
While there are super easy ways to make money fast, none of these are going to make you rich.
They're the easy ones to fund your passive income. That said, it's free money. They could help you pay off some bills and some more. That's a win-win situation if you ask me.
Straightforward Ideas On How To Make Money Online
Easy wins are money making ideas from home that can help you generate the right amount of money quickly, but it's not going to make you rich. Don't skip them, though.
The quick money you make here can help you put more towards the medium and challenging ideas.
1. Earn fast money by sharing your thoughts
Sharing your opinions is, by far, the easiest way to earn extra money. There are companies that pay you $35/survey or more to answer a few questions.
It pays you up to $45 per survey for taking part in surveys you can do from home. Just sign up using your Facebook account. In 30 seconds, you are on your way to earning money online.
The best part? You take paid online surveys on your schedule. Have you got the spare time? Share your thoughts. If you don't, then, that's ok. It's all up to you.
Other survey sites to try include:
2. Make more using Swagbucks
So, how do you make money from it?
Every time you do something online, use Swagbucks as a starting point (i.e., search engine) just like you would use Google for searching. Or just activate the desktop plugin.
From there, you can do anything like watching videos, playing games, etc, and you'll start earning points redeemable for free gift cards and/or cash.
Other ways to make money from Swagbucks:
- Take surveys (include $5 sign in bonus) + earn up to $35/survey
- Get paid to watch videos (include $5 sign in bonus)
- Read emails (include $5 sign in bonus)
Click here to start with Swagbucks for FREE and get your $10 sign-up bonus.
So why should you trust Swagbucks? That's an important question, and here are the answers:
- Reputation. Swagbucks has been in business for over five years. In those years, it has partnered with big companies like Hulu, JCPenney, and so many more.
- Payout. Yes, Swagbucks has paid out over $350 million. That says it all.
- Requirement. All you need to do is download, use Swagbucks for just about anything you do online, and that's it.
3. Earn extra income from apps
Believe it or not:
Whether you're watching TV or doing something else, some apps can help you make extra money.
For example, you can use Lyft – a ride-sharing app – to drive someone from point A to point B and get paid to do that.
No kidding on that! There are money apps designed for that.
If you're looking for something that along with what you're doing, some apps are designed for you.
Some other money-making apps to help you make money online:
- Shopkick – Just step into the store and make points redeemable for cash.
- MyPoints – Get paid for doing things you already do like shopping, surfing the internet, playing some games, etc.
- eBates: A cashback app for shopping online. eBates gives you 2-10% cashback. Sometimes, it will double the cashback. For example, if you're looking to buy a laptop for $400 and Walmart offers a site-wide Black Friday sale of 30% off, and eBates offers 20%, and you have $50 off coupon, you'd get that laptop for $150. That's a savings of $150.
So, do you just download these apps that pay money? The answer is no. There are guidelines you need to follow:
- Privacy. When signing up for these apps, understand what you're sharing in exchange from using these apps.
- Convenience. Is it easy to make money from these apps or not? Believe it or not, there are more accessible apps to use that can make you money.
4. Get free money via QUICK sign-up bonuses
Here's an easier way to make money online, that is, sign-up bonuses.
You may not know this, but companies compete to get you on board with them. They compete so competitively that they give out bonuses (some even big ones).
This is a pro tip: Get bonuses from sites that you not only will use but also will make you cash when you need money now.
These sites can help you make money month after month. Though they won't make you rich, they can pay the bills and some more. So, it's a win-win situation.
Best platforms to help you earn money online:
- Ibotta: A grocery app that gives you cashback for …. groceries. It's that app that made me over $300 in 5 months (Earn an extra $10 sign up bonus) See my Ibotta review here.
- Nielsen Computer and Mobile Panel: Get a chance to win $10,000. Plus, Neilsen pays $50 per year to keep its app installed on a device.
Quick tip: These are the things you need to look out for:
- Requirements. Do the apps require you to exert more effort, time, and other things to earn a few bucks? If yes, then, that app isn't the right fit for you.
- Payout. How much does the app pay? You don't want to use apps that can only generate you a couple of cents.
4. Get paid online via PayPal
If you're looking for the best apps out there to make cash online via PayPal, there are apps that offer that.
More companies are now using this platform to attract potential participants.
Some of them offer big bonuses. Some of them exclusively use it as a payment method.
Here's a snapshot of the payouts people have received, all of which were deposited through PayPal:
- one participant made free PayPal money of over $1,550 in just a few months
- a few people earned free money instantly of $50 on their first try
- I even made at least $1,100 both in free gift cards and in cash just for sharing my thoughts
Some sites that offer PayPal money for FREE:
6. Earn extra cash by saving money
The best way to make money is to save money. How do you do that? The answer is to cut down or out services you don't need.
You can do painfully by calling each of your bill collectors or you can do it automated. The solution is called Trim. See my Trim review here.
Trim will analyze your spending, find subscriptions to cancel, search for cashback offers, negotiate your bills, among others.
To date, Trim cut our Verizon phone bill by $16.75/mo. Now, it's finding me a better rate for my car insurance.Make money by saving money
Other apps to save you money by cutting down those bills:
- Charlie: Helps you find extra free money, avoid those additional changes, and help you spend your money smarter.
- Cushion: Helps you look for bank fees you have been charged and, then, request your permission to negotiate those fees for you.
To find out more information, click on these on bill negotiation apps.
Medium Ideas To Make Money From Home
Remember I told you that you could use your small wins towards these. There's a reason that I said that.
Most of the ideas in the medium wins require you to shell out money.
Believe it or not, that's exactly what I did. Now, one of these side hustles makes me over $10,000/mo (that's how to make money online for free or less than nothing).
I used up all my earnings from the easy ones to start and generate flowing cash from the below money making ideas.
7. Work from home with a blog
Interested in generating massive passive income? You just need a website. It's one of the best ways to make money while you sleep.
There’s no special skills and talents to start a blog. I earn at least $20,000/mo working 5 hrs/mo on this blog – the one you are in right now.
For only $2.95/mo – less than a cup of your fancy coffee, you can start a blog and eventually, make money out of it. There are virtually zero risks, but high reward with blogging.
How do you exactly make money from blogging?
- Sign up for great affiliate networks. Other than Amazon, there are reputable networks such as FlexOffers, Share-A-Sale, and Clickbank that can help you find the right affiliates.
- Be an Amazon Associate affiliate. With gazillions of products sold on Amazon, you're likely to see products you can quickly sell and make affiliate sales from.
- Get sponsorships. The payout from sponsorships could be in thousands and could last for months or even years.
8. Get money online by switching banks
Online banking is the future of banking, and it is here now. With online banks, you can manage everything and make money online from the comfort of your sofa.
So, if you've got money in your account just sitting and collecting a few dollars or cents, find a bank that pays better on interest. That's one legit way to earn money online and from home.
I prefer CIT Bank's savings account – a bank that offers at least 2.45% APY on your savings. Basically, it offers over 25x the national average of .06% APY.
I ditched my bank accounts and transferred my money to CIT. Now, I earn interest enough to pay our monthly groceries and, then, some more.
Reasons CIT Bank or any online banks are a way to go:
- Fees. Since these are online banks, they have less overhead and fewer fees on you.
- Better rates. Since there's little overhead to carry, these banks can offer you better interest rates.
- Convenience. Online banks find the need to tap into technology more than your local banks.
9. Earn online income from your receipts
It turns out deleting email receipts can cost you a lot of money. So, please stop.
There's a new app called Paribus — a tool that gets your money back for your online purchases.
Here’s where it gets interesting: Just connect your email, and it will scan your email for receipts.
If it finds you've purchased any products from its monitored retailers, it will automatically track the item and get you a refund when the price drops.
If your shipment is late, you'll get some money back, too. Sweet, right?
Register here for a Paribus account for FREE. Be on your way to find ways to make money from home without a sweat.
10. Unexpectedly save money from food delivery service
Food delivery services send a box to your door every week with fresh foods, meals, or raw ingredients (depending on which service you choose).
If you don't have time to shop to buy your food, then, a food subscription service may be a perfect choice for you.
Are meal delivery services worth it for you?
The answer is it depends. If you're looking for a family of 3 or more, then, these services could turn out to be very expensive.
That said, if it's just you, then, these services could be perfect.
Here is a list of services that could help you save money in the process:
11. Evaluate websites as a side hustle
A site called User Testing pays you just to evaluate websites. That's it.
It typically pays $10 for each video you review. This review usually takes around 20 minutes. Not bad for a quick buck.
If you happen to be great at it, there's even a chance you could earn up to $30/hour. That's a substantial amount of money for a simple task. If you're looking ways to make money online, this is one of them.
Time-Consuming Ideas To Make Money Online From Home
Now, the fun has just started. When you've finally generated some money from your easy and medium ideas, you can now feel more confident to move on to the challenging ideas. That's because you have extra money to spare now.
But, of course, if you have money, to begin with, you can skip those two (though I highly recommend you not), and go here.
12. Work as an online teacher to earn passive income
If you like online tutoring and want to do it from home, you can do that 100% thru VIPKID.
It’s an online teaching opportunity where you get to teach English to students in China.
One teacher made over $75,000 teaching children overseas English via VIPKID.
Teachers for VIPKID can make as much as $2,000/mo working 4-5 hrs/day. As a VIPKID teacher, you get the training and teaching materials for FREE.
The application process is straightforward. The registration is almost up. So, it's best to apply soon.
13. Sell your services or freelance to earn legit money
Now, you can freelance and sell your services and earn money online right from the comfort of your home.
What's the going on rate per hour? The rate (on average) is $18/hour. That's a lot of money for a side gig.
If you have a marketable skill such as graphic designing, writing, marketing, or something else, you can use that skill to freelance.
There are several platforms like Fiverr and Upwork, where you can sell your services without going door to door to get clients.
Here's a quick list to get you started:
- Define your goal. Your goal helps you define what you need to do from the start.
- Find your niche. Find your interests and match those with specific niches.
- Set your price. It's important to set your price. You don't want to go high or too low.
14. Join a remote company for part-time or full-time
With so many companies looking to hire a diverse group of individuals, now is the best time to get a job that allows you to work remotely.
Now, it's possible to find work from home jobs and earn more.
More and more companies are embracing the concept of remote work.
For example, a company called Zapier encourages its employees to work with any type of communication tool. The company is 100% remote and it has over 200 employees across the globe.
A lot of companies do have full-time positions as well. So, don't worry if you like to find work where you can earn a full-time income online. There is plenty out there.
15. Make real money by writing and selling an eBook
In case you like to write and want to learn how to make easy money fast online, try writing and selling an eBook.
If you hare a freelance writer and have done some freelance writing for others, it's now time for you to make money fast if you need money.
You can self-publish and sell your books online through Amazon.
You can also create your site and market your books from there.
In short, there's more than one way to sell your books than just trying to get a publisher to carry your books and sell them to big bookstores or resellers.
16. Sell online to earn profits
If you want those easy to make money, now, you can sell anything and everything online.
Best of all:
You can literally establish your retail business through Amazon and eBay and go from there. One even turned $200 into $1M in 92 days.
If you want to make money online from selling your stuff, you'll need to learn how to build a site, build a sales funnel, create a lead magnet, and work on some email marketing.
You'll also need to work on refunds, customer service, and other vital aspects of running an online shop.
While there are a lot of things that you need to do to earn money online with selling your stuff, there's an opportunity here to make quite a bit of money.
Some routes to help you stand up your online presence:
- Shopify: If you want to build a storefront, Shopify is a good option.
- Dropshipping: Dropshipping is a method wherein the retailer doesn't keep any good in stock but instead transfer the orders and shipment fulfillment to either another retailer, manufacturer, or even a wholesaler.
- Fulfilled-by-Amazon: You can start your online store via Amazon and just pay the commission.
17. Vlog to make money from videos
If you don’t like blogging but love making videos, then, vlogging is the one for you.
Vlogging offers a way to make money online or make money fast today.
You are free to vlog any topic you wish. It can be how-tos, product reviews, memes, life hacks, and lots more.
You can upload these videos to websites like YouTube, DailyMotion, Vimeo, Viddler, where you take advantage of their monetization scheme.
Many of the most popular vloggers make over $100,000 each month.
Granted they have a lot of viewers and followers; this doesn’t mean that you can't make a couple of dollars here and there.
For me, it’s all about discipline, content, and patience. If you have great video content and patience, your vlog will go a long way.
18. Sell courses to earn a passive source of income
Do you know that there are ways on how to make money online by selling courses online?
Compared to selling products and services, you sell educational courses and tutorials to anyone in need of them.
If you are an expert on something that people want to know more about, you can create an online course for that. An example online course where one made earn money online is a cheap online course on how to make money via eBay.
Most people set up their online courses through platforms like Teachable.com.
Myths about selling courses online:
- Large audience. Put it this way; it's better to have a small audience that knows you and your product and than a broad audience that doesn't.
- Steep prices. You need to build trust, audience, and reputation, and that you can do by selling well-priced courses that people are willing to pay for.
- Perfection. Perfection is subjective. What's perfect for others may not be perfect for you.
19. Make your own money as a virtual assistant
Virtual assistant jobs are among the in-demand work from home jobs right now.
Some VAs make as much as $15/hr. Some make higher than $100/hr, depending on the level of expertise and experience.
Believe it or not:
Once you are used to providing VA services, you'll find that the VA job is one of the most open jobs or ways to make easy money.
If you start working as a VA, don't expect you're going to make a lot of money right off the bat. Your pay is also based on job requirements, experience, and skillsets.
Other ideas to make money online that people overlook
When it comes to making money online, our immediate thoughts would be to go for customer service, building a site, selling on Amazon, and other things like those.
Believe it or not, there are options to make extra money – options that people are overlooking. Here are those options:
20. Sell your knowledge as one of the online jobs from home
You can literally sell your expertise in the form of creating a course or an eBook that people can purchase online.
If you're an expert on something, let's say, in child personal finance, you can create a course that helps people be successful on how to make a budget.
When you have a course or an eBook that connects well with people, you can be sure that you'd earn a lot from it again and again. This can turn into a part-time gig into a full-time one.
21. Make part-time money from the internet via referrals
I do love referrals and affiliate marketing. It's where I get my blog income. That said, you don't have to be a blogger to earn money from referrals.
There are FREE sites that can help you earn money for referring your friends. The more friends you refer, the more money you make from home and online.
Some sites that offer paid referrals include:
- Swagbucks. Earn 10% of the earnings of those people who sign up through your link. Swagbucks makes it easy for your friends (then, you) to make money because almost anything they do online can earn points redeemable for cash.
- Ebates. For referring friends, you'll earn $5/person when they make their first purchase of $25 or more. Plus, they'll get $10 gift card for new members.
- Ibotta. For sure, your friends would love to get money back from their groceries. As for you, you'll earn $5 for each referral you make. Your friends, on the other hand, will get a $10 sign-up bonus.
22. Use consulting/coaching as a legit work from home job
There are countless ways where you can make money online, doing just consulting or coaching work.
In the U.S. alone, the personal coaching industry tops $1 billion, and it's growing. In short, there's a big market for that, and you can get a fair share of that market.
Depending on your expertise, education, and background, you could be great at providing services related to consulting and coaching.
In some areas, you may need to earn certifications or licenses to do certain things. For example, you can be a personal trainer but will require a certification for that.
23. Sell your old phones and get paid online
If you're the type of person who changes phones from time to time, then, you might as well make money from your phone. This guy made $800 selling old phones.
You can pick up some serious cash especially if you have high-end phones.
Gazelle is a great platform – that pays cash or gift cards – for your old and unused phones.
How to make legit money online with selling phones:
- Ask your friends. Ask them if they're willing to sell their old, high-end model phones to you.
- Look on Craigslist. You'll find people selling their phones here or on Facebook Marketplace for dirt cheap price.
Make money from online FAQs
Wait a minute!
Before leaving this post, I'd like to answer some burning questions on earning money online (more at the end of this post so please read through everything):
1. Why do you need to earn extra money online?
We all have bills to pay. Sometimes, our income isn't enough to cover the bills. See here if you can't pay bills.
The truth is finding an extra source of income can be challenging especially when you have a family, a full-time job or something that go in the mix.
That's why it's more important now than ever to make extra money online and from home. With online gig or even just using money making apps, you don't have to leave the house, drive miles, etc. to get to work and get paid.
2. Is it easy to earn cash?
The answer is ‘depends.' Some gigs are easy to do and can make you money fast, and some aren't. You'll find this post is categorized into four sections:
- Easy ideas: Easy wins, easy money
- Medium ideas: Relatively easy, more money <– one idea makes me over $10,000/mo
- Time-consuming ideas: Long term targets, more passive money
- Other ideas: Ideas to make money from home you may be overlooking
3. How can I make fast money online?
There are ways you can make money from doing things online. Some are easy to do, and some take a lot of effort. Here are a few you can start with (along the ones in the post):
- Share your opinions and get paid
- Make money from apps
- Get bonuses from sites you will use
- Cut services you don't need and save a lot of money
4. How can I get rich online?
While there is no definite, exact roadmap on getting rich, here are some general tips that can help you learn how to get rich quick in a few years.
- Build your detailed plan
- Educate yourself on financial management (e.g., personal finance and money management)
- Find ways to make more money and reduce your expenses
- Find ways to save more money
- Increase your passive income streams
- Live within your means
- Invest for the long-haul (and not for the short-term)
5. How can I make $1000 fast?
Making your first $1,000 isn't as difficult as you may think. What's the secret to making much money? It's simple, and it's your openness or willingness to put extra effort into trying something. The keyword is “try.”
Here are some ways you can use to earn your first extra $1,000:
- Take paid online surveys
- Start a blog
- Sell your unwanted belongings
- Sell your products and services
- Use money-making apps
- Get cashback using money-saving apps
- Deliver food
- Rent your space on Airbnb
- Open an account that offers a bonus
Conclusion: How to make money online fast
Learning how to make extra money doesn’t always have to be messy and complicated. For the most part, you don’t need skills and experience even to start making money online. Many times, you just need time, patience, and passion.
If you try some of the side hustles mentioned above, I can’t think of any reason why making extra money now or later won’t be possible.
Which of these opportunities are you going to try first? Which of these do you think will make you more money?